5-3 Blog Tools
Organized Data
Based on the data from the Math classroom what I discovered is that most of the students struggled on problem six. As an educator since only one student got it correct the class would benefit from another lesson on the topic (solves problems involving single or multiple operations). Problem seven had a high success level showing that whatever the method or way the teacher taught that topic was mostly successful for this class. I think that it would be beneficial to look at how the lesson was taught so the teacher could implement some of those strategies into the classroom.
Based on the data from the Math classroom what I discovered is that most of the students struggled on problem six. As an educator since only one student got it correct the class would benefit from another lesson on the topic (solves problems involving single or multiple operations). Problem seven had a high success level showing that whatever the method or way the teacher taught that topic was mostly successful for this class. I think that it would be beneficial to look at how the lesson was taught so the teacher could implement some of those strategies into the classroom.
Looking at the overall information I
could definitely see some successful groupings that could occur. The groupings
would depend on the way in which the teacher would want. Would the teacher want
similar struggling students together in a group or students who could help one
another? I found through my years of learning, especially with Math, that peers
can sometimes explain how to do something in a more at the student level
learning type of way. Many of the strategies from this data would depend on how
the teacher would like to roll out the plan.
Which
tool did you use?
I used Google Sheets to organize the
data from the Math classroom. I was able to layout the information in a more
visually accessible way. I also added color to some portions of the data to
emphasize areas of needed improvement. I found the tool to be very similar to
the way that Microsoft Excel works which I am familiar with. In addition, you
can make a variety of graphs, charts and diagrams that can further explain and
show the data.
What
do you see as its strengths and weaknesses?
Some strengths of this program are
that it is easily accessible, free to through your Google account and can be
accessed from any computer with internet. Also if you are familiar with
Microsoft Excel much of the functionality of the program is similar. There are
a variety of videos, articles and blogs that can assist you in the use of this
program (Such as https://support.google.com/docs/answer/49008?hl=en
and http://www.gcflearnfree.org/googlespreadsheets
)
Some weaknesses are that you need to
have a Google account, so if you do not have one you would be signing up for
another program. In addition, the way in which you can use Sheets or Excel can
be complicated with the equations or information that you need to enter.
Did
adding color to the tool help identify any potential problem areas?
Adding color to the chart really
made it clearer as to where the problem areas are. It made it clearer not just
to see how the students did across the board, but also how the class did
overall on certain problems.
How
could you apply Web 2.0 tool functionality to authentic classroom or
school-wide scenarios?
I think that by looking at data that
is provided through a survey, an assignment, or observation anyone can make charts
or graphs to show conclusions from the data. This could apply to behavior; standards based
learning, results of a survey on training, and much more. There is variety of
web 2.0 tools that could be used and displayed for others to learn such as
Google Sheets, Infographics, Excel, Survey Monkey and much more.
I liked the comment you made about the teacher looking back on how she taught the lesson for question 6. When an assessment shows that students did not understand it, it is important for a teacher to reflect on what they did and how they can do it better. Nice post!
ReplyDeleteAmanda,
ReplyDeleteYou did a nice job on this Blog post. You brought up some interesting points and we had some similar ideas. I also think that it can be helpful to have students explain to their peers how to solve a problem. Having them become the "teachers" can be beneficial because their explanation is much more simpler and easier to understand. It's important to be reflective as a teacher. You should reflect on the strengths and weaknesses of a lesson, and look for ways to improve upon next time.