Many of the integration ideas for technology have to do with
creating, a presentation, an excel spreadsheet, a recording, the students are
expected to make something. The important part of when we are using technology
is that usually prior knowledge needs to come first, so that they can create.
Although some technological tasks will be about analysis as well, looking at
pictures or information and coming to a conclusion based on what they have seen
or read. By giving the independence for
the students to create, analyze, evaluate, understand, remember and apply in
their own way, they can show their personal strengths through what they
accomplish.
Out of the configurations that I created there are some pros
and cons to the assignments and expectations of the students. One of the cons
that I predict is that some programs can be rather challenging if the student
is unaware of how to use a computer or the program involved. Although you hope
that each student has some previous knowledge some do not, so that can be a
challenging task. Another con could be the cost of the equipment needed; some
school districts can afford it while others cannot. A pro I think is that the
configurations will excite and interest the students participating. Another pro
would be that students would be learning on programs that they could apply to
future tasks in other classes or in a career.
There are a lot of potential issues that can occur but if
you are prepared for them they can be easily solved. For example, parental
concerns if this is something that occurs than you should inform your principal
of what you are doing and send information home. That way the issues are
arising before, not during or after. Technology problems will unexpectedly
occur no matter what but having a backup plan is always good just in case. I
have found that as you go through new activities and lessons overtime you will
be aware and can predict the issues that may occur. So as you continue to use
the assignment you will feel more comfortable and confident in how to properly
complete the tasks at hand.
When completing the budget portion of the matrix for technology
integration in classroom activities I realized how expensive the computers and
equipment actually are. Many times educators and now students just expect to
have these tools used, but the cost can take a lot of the school’s budget very
easily. This assignment also made me realize that having students Bring Your
Own Device (BYOD) is a valid option and very cost efficient, if students have
the devices. I have worked in a few different school districts and no matter
where you are there will always be students who don’t have these types of
items. What would you do for them?
Parental concern is an issue. One that I had not thought of. One of my activities has a Blog as an assignment and this could definitely raise red flags for parents. My district has a privacy option when student create something in Google that makes viewers log in with their school accounts to view the page, etc. This helps provide relief for parents. A backup plan is always great to have in your back pocket as you mention. The other day I had students working on lessons I created within my website and our internet went down. I was not prepared and had to scramble for something for them to do as an alternate assignment. I learned the hard way. Technology can be fun, but also challenging.
ReplyDelete